Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Alligator Mitts

Lately I've had such little patience with my projects that the last fully finished object of mine was done about a month ago -- and that, only after about another month of putting off sewing on the eyes. Sheesh.

I knew pretty soon after receiving the book (as a secret Eid buddy gift form Uthayla last year) that I would make these cuties, but only got around to it this semester.

Pattern: Later 'Gator Mitts from Stitch 'n Bitch Nation (Debbie Stoller)
Yarn: Cascade 220 in the colors called for; I left the book at school so I'm not sure exactly which ones.
Needles: US6 DPNs
Techniques Learned: Mattress stitch, French knots
Recipient: Self

Some notes:
- The pattern worked pretty smoothly, except that I was dumb and didn't use smaller needles on the cuff like I was supposed to. So, the cuffs are huge, and I have to tuck my shirt sleeves into them if I want the mittens to stay on nicely. True, this'll probably help in terms of warmth, but it's a pain because I'm finicky about it and can't take them on and off easily with a jacket on.
- As a rule, I like my mittens to be a little snug, so these are a little roomy for my taste; on the bright side, I can easily wear another pair (or gloves) underneath.
- On the first one, Mister Mister, I bound off the upper "lip" too tightly; as a result, it curls up irritatingly. (This is his brother-slash-arch-enemy, Oh No, you're looking at.)
- I forgot: there is an error in this pattern; thankfully, I knew about it beforehand. You can find the errata here.
- I had a sort of googley-eye crisis. I originally bought two pairs (when I still had plans to make a pair for my sister) in two different sizes. I'd sewn on the bigger pair on Mister Mister upon completion, but when the time came for Oh No, I couldn't find the other anywhere. And so, after much procrastination, I just used the smaller ones. Except I was too lazy (laziness: you'll find much of it on this blog) to actually switch the originals on Mister Mister, so the brothers have different-sized eyes. Oh Well. It makes them unique.
Oh No (left) and Mister Mister.

1 comment:

Laura B said...

They're so cute! I like the different sized eyes! You did a great job!